CARPLS Legal Aid was established as the first legal aid hotline in the country in 1993 and has been a national innovator ever since. The organization’s mission is to ensure that anyone in need can access legal help. Through its committed staff and continued technological development, CARPLS has grown into a lead partner on four statewide programs and serves Cook County as the largest provider of free legal services. We’re looking for candidates that align with our mission.
Please see the open positions below. If there are no positions listed, we are not hiring at this time. Thank you for your interest in CARPLS Legal Aid.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR:
CARPLS is expanding its direct services with a new community engagement position to deepen the breadth of its work with community organizations and stakeholders. This is an exciting change maker position in the service of access to justice and equity.
At this time, we are working remotely.
CARPLS is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to having a diverse workplace.
- Applicants must have at least 2 years’ work experience with at least 1 year professional experience managing community outreach for a community-based organization
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed community-based strategies
- Preferred fluency in oral and written Spanish
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking, one-on-one interactions and listening, the ability to work well under pressure, and to quickly learn and retain new information
- Experience working with people living in poverty or other vulnerable populations
- Have established relationships with the Chicago African American and/or Latinx communities
- Experience working with attorneys or experience working with a broad array of professionals including attorneys preferred
- Preferred degree in public policy, social work, communications, psychology, or related field
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office
- Must have a car and valid driver’s license
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends for community events and meetings
- Serve as the CARPLS ambassador / primary contact with the greater community
- Lead education and advocacy of our brand and mission; be adept at relationship building
- Develop and implement outreach and community engagement plans
- Coordinate legal education presentations, know-your-rights workshops, and other CARPLS presentations for community members, service providers, and courts.
- Document measurable outcomes for you and the staff, such as tracking of community meetings, community member conversations, relationship building, and volunteer efforts
- Participate in meetings with community organizations and groups throughout Chicago and Suburban Cook County, and Illinois for select projects.
- Other duties as assigned
- This position reports to the Executive Director and works with the Legal Director, Supervising Attorneys, Marketing & Communications Manager and other staff as required
From $45,000 annually with benefits, including PTO and health insurance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to gro.s1635084031lprac1635084031@ofni1635084031 with a subject line of “Community Engagement Coordinator–Your Name.”
We are looking for a skilled, detail-oriented, full-time Office Administrator to support our mission behind the scenes by managing our office and performing a variety of clerical tasks. Responsibilities include administrative support, paying bills, recording donations in the accounting and donor databases, payroll, managing employee benefits and maintaining the office space, equipment, and phone system. The Office Administrator also provides support to the Director of Legal Services and the Development Director as needed.
Our office is in the Loop.
· 4+ years of working in a professional office environment
· Associates degree or administrative professional’s certification
· Previous work experience with nonprofits preferred
· Proficiency with Quick Books software, including paying bills, producing payroll checks, and recording invoices
· Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word
· Experience or ability to learn Salesforce
· Proficiency with processing credit card donations
· Experience maintaining personnel files
· Experience working in a challenging, fast-paced work setting with a staff of professionals
· Flexible, can-do approach, team player
· Excellent communication skills including clear speaker, concise writer, and careful listener
· Shows initiative and has strong troubleshooting skills and results-oriented approach to problems
· Very well organized and attentive to detail
· Understanding and enthusiasm for CARPLS’ mission.
$22-24/hour depending on experience. Paid time off, life and long-term disability insurance, optional health, dental, vision and retirement plans.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to gro.s1635084031lprac1635084031@ofni1635084031 with a subject line of “Office Administrator – (Your Name).”